Monday 15 July 2013

Zucchini, Feta and Mint Quiche

Week 4 of July Recipe A Week Challenge - Baked Goods




To quote my dear friend Bez: GOOD LORD!  This recipe was absolutely delish and very easy to make.  I love quiche and the best one I have ever had is by Donna, and not the Aussie Donna, but the Irish Gypsy Donna (Scott's mum).  Her spinach and feta quiche is one for the gods.  I need to get my hands on the recipe - perhaps a trade is in order??

But this quiche is narrowly in the lead I'm afraid! However... *cue optimistic and glorious music score* with Donna's crust and this filling we have an absolutely, positively, most definitely, undeniably, mouth watering, jaw dropping, foodgasmic quiche!




I would not change a thing with this, except that I would have eaten more of it!  Eat it freshly out the oven, but allow time to cool!! I learn this the hard way EVERY TIME burning my palate to a thin membrane in my eagerness to devour food.



Ingredients (makes 1 large quiche):

  • 1 roll, ready-made shortcrust pastry. (I couldn't find any so I used the Woolies shortcrust pastry mix. So simple just add water!)
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 700g fresh zucchini, grated
  • handful fresh mint, finely chopped
  • 3 rounds of Feta cheese
  • 4 large eggs
  • 250ml cream / milk
  • salt & pepper to taste


Instructions:

Roll out the shortcrust pastry to fit into the quiche dish. 
Pre-heat the oven to 180°c and Blind Bake the pastry for 10 minutes until golden brown. Set aside.
In a large pan, fry the onion and garlic until soft and translucent. Add the grated zucchini and fry for 2-3 minutes until slightly softened. Transfer the mixture into a colander and allow to drain for 5 minutes. Add the chopped mint.
Beat together the eggs, milk and seasoning.
Spoon the zucchini mixture on top of the pastry and cover with the egg mixture. Crumble over the Feta cheese and grind over some black pepper.
Bake for 20-25 minutes until the quiche is set but still slightly soft in the middle.  Extra cooking time may be necessary, but don't fret this is ok.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature.


Recipe from Simply Delicious Blog


July Recipe A Week Challenge courtesy of Claudz



No comments:

Post a Comment