Thursday 4 July 2013

One Pot Steamed Fish


Week 2 of the July recipe challenge: Fish


In light of the fact that this week's July Recipe A Week Challenge was cooked by my mom in magic Malta, I need to post a fantastic fish recipe.  I have made this recipe countless times and it never fails. This recipe is dedicated to Marijka, who has been begging me for this recipe for ages!  I'm sorry it has taken so long to get this to you.  I hope its as delicious as the first time I made it for you.


My first "official" cook book was this one: fast, fresh, simple. by Donna Hay, given to me by aunt Helen.  This woman is my food icon - I love her!  The fact that my aunt loved her too is even more reason I cook so many of her dishes.  


As you have probably guessed, this is a Donna Hay recipe that I have adapted for fish instead of chicken. 

Enjoy!

Ingredients: (Serves 4)

4 portions of white fleshy fish (sea bass is brilliant)
1 cup Jasmine rice
2 cups of chicken/fish stock
3/4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
A good stick of fresh Ginger, roughtly sliced
5/6 spring onion sprigs, sliced longitudinally
1 yellow pepper, roughly sliced
Handful of coriander
Salt and pepper
1 tsp Chilli flakes (optional)

Instructions:

Add some olive oil to a large pan or pot with a lid.  
Fry until slightly golden the garlic, ginger, spring onion, pepper and chilli flakes (optional).  
Turn the heat down to a simmer.
Add the dry rice to the pan and swoosh around to combine with the ingredients.  Spread the rice evenly across the pan.
Add the stock slowly so not to disturb the rice.
Cover and let simmer for 8-10 minutes.
Remove the lid and gently place the fish portions on top of the rice. Crack some salt and pepper over the fish.
Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes.
Scoop the fish portions out with a big spoon, making sure you get the rice underneath.  Plate up with a sprinkling of coriander to finish.

Tip: Check the fish every now and then to make sure you don't over cook it or check there is still a bit of moisture in the pan.  If it looks a bit dry and your fish is not cooked yet, just add a wee bit more water.


No comments:

Post a Comment