Tuesday 18 June 2013

Vichyssoise



For those of you who think I'm talking gibberish - this is my Mom's wholesome Potato and Leek Soup.

As we near mid-winter in the Highveld, I wanted to cook something body warming and hearty.  But before I get on with this recipe I do have to comment about our Highveld Winter.  Some would argue that daytime high's of 20 odd degrees does not constitute winter temperatures, and I would have to agree.  This equates to a lovely summer day in Scotland, where locals sport small butt-munching shorts, revealing ghastly pale legs, among other things.  Now I'm not saying we as South African's should follow suit but just yesterday I sat outside in jeans and a tee soaking up the rays.  It was brilliant!  And warm!  Don't be fooled by "winter" day-time.

On the other hand, winter night-time is the evil schizophrenic side of winter.  Subzero frost bitten mornings and icicle steering wheel fingers.  Afternoon chills and bone piercing nights.  Brrr.

I had some left over leeks in the fridge which sparked the interest for the recipe.


Ingredients: (Serves 4)

  • 6 Potatoes
  • 4 Leeks
  • 2 Onions
  • 2 Cups of Stock
  • Salt and Pepper for taste
  • Cream/Plain Yoghurt
  • Chives

Instructions:

Roughly chop the potato, leek and onion and place in a large pot.  Add stock and bring to the boil.  Reduce heat and simmer until potato feels soft.  Blend until smooth (if the mixture is very thick, add some water).  A handheld blender is the easiest - just blend everything while it sits in the pot.  
Serve with a dollop of cream or yoghurt and sprinkle with some chives.
Best served with delicious fresh crusty bread for dipping!

Tip: Next time I make this soup I want to caramelize the leeks and onions first before adding to the pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment