Tuesday 2 July 2013

Pan-Fried Seabass in Lemon Sauce


Week 2 of the July recipe challenge: Fish



Fish is probably the most understated and unliked of all the 'meat'.  People are either too nervous to try fish, they don't know how to cook it, they don't like the fishy taste or its too bland, they don't like bones, or the most common one they don't like the smell (sometimes I admit its pretty disgusting - when its raw).

My parents have a lovely apartment in Malta over looking a small bay (I know I'm jealous too).  When this recipe challenge came up I told my mom about it and within 1 day she had already asked if she can cook the fish.  Being in Malta the fish is INCREDIBLE.  Fresh fresh fresh!  So I had no choice but to relinquish the fish challenge to my mom because it's honestly the best place to be cooking fish.

Note: I will post another fish recipe later this week.  The recipe is one that I love and is sooooo simple!  
Marijka, your senses should be tingling as you may be getting a surprise this week :)

Back to the recipe challenge.  In the words of my co-chef and food inspiration, Mom.

"Ok firstly we bought FRESH sea bass so that is of course key... However the sauce was extremely light and fragrant (lemon) that this could definitely enhance any fresh fish.
I seasoned the fish with my trusty fish spice [this fish spice is a Maltese spice, but apparently the Woolies fish spice is fantastic as well] and then simply fried it for a very few minutes on each side, skin side down first to sealed in flavour!  I heated the sauce in small pot and put the sauce over the fish, added capers and parsley before serving with salad.

That is it !!!"

Mom standing on the apartment balcony


This is my Mom in the Malta apartment... living the dream! And eating all the fish.  Thanks for all your inspiration and nudging in the kitchen when I was young.  If it wasn't for you I would not be so passionate and excited about cooking.

Mom walking the Ta'Xbiex Waterfront

Ingredients: (Serves 4)

Lemon-cream sauce
1 cup cream
juice and zest of 2 lemons
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt & pepper to taste
Fish
4 fish fillets (I used fresh hake)
¾ cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons seasoning spice of your choice (I used a fish spice)
To serve
capers
parsely

Instructions:

To make the sauce, combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and allow to simmer for 10 minutes until reduced slightly.
For the fish, combine the flour, salt & seasoning spice and coat the fish fillets thoroughly.
Fry the fish in a hot pan (in a little vegetable oil, skin-side down first) until golden brown then carefully flip over and fry for another 4-5 minutes until the fish is cooked through and golden brown.

Recipe from Simply Delicious Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment